Employment Type: Full-Time
As Skillshare's Interim Controller, you will take complete ownership of our financial accounting operations. You will report directly to the CEO, and we are open to a part-time or flexible schedule role and can expand or contract the scope accordingly. Skillshare is a high-growth, mission-driven startup that is providing professional development and learning opportunities for millions of people worldwide.
What you'll do:
* Financial Accounting:
* Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements
* Provide technical accounting subject matter expertise on the treatment of accounting transactions and related financial reporting requirements
* Ensure the month-end close is completed accurately
* Maintain and enforce company policies and procedures including expense reimbursement and invoice/budget approvals tracking
* Project manage larger initiatives in conjunction with other departments
* Develop and support team members (staff and senior accountant) in their careers
* Manage year-end external audit providing detailed and accurate work papers and documentation to outside accounting firm
* Conduct period over period flux analysis and compare actual vs. expected results in partnership with the CEO
Taxation and Compliance:Manage ongoing communication with tax advisors and any 3rd party professional serviceManage periodic and annual tax filings and returns, and ensure timely submission to authoritiesAmend or renew, when appropriate, corporate insurance policies
What you'll need to be successful:
* Business acumen - we run lean, and we need your business smarts as much as your accounting chops; you can tell us what the numbers mean for our business and strategy, not just what they are.
* CPA - it doesn't have to be current, but given you'll be the lead accounting professional in the company we need you to know that GAAP is not where you buy jeans; you secretly like journal entries.
* Excel wizardry - you use a spreadsheet to fold your laundry (and never touch the mouse?)
* Operational focus - you automate the mundane so you can focus on the sublime
* SaaS experience - SaaS businesses have some nuance that is really important to both the accounting and financial management, and prior experience in consumer SaaS will give you a leg up in the role
Why you want this job:
* Our mission: We are making the creative life possible for everyone around the world, and are changing millions of lives for the better.
* Impact: There aren't many venture-backed startups with high growth rates, a strong platform and subscription-driven business model, AND a powerful social impact.
* Our team: We have a passionate, whip-smart team that is a lot of fun to work with.
* Our investors: We are backed by some of the best minds in technology - Union Square Ventures, Spark Capital, Omidyar Network and Amasia.
* Your life: We take pride in our flexibility. Need to work part time? We'll figure it out. Need flexible hours to take care of family obligations? No problem. Need to work from your parents' house over the holidays? Working remotely is just part of how we need to work these days. You're a professional, so just do what you need to do.
Skillshare is an online learning community whose mission is to connect curious, lifelong learners everywhere - and, in so doing, build a more creative, more generous, and more prosperous world. Today, our community has grown to millions of members who come to Skillshare to learn creative and entrepreneurial skills, network with peers, and even teach a class themselves. We are backed by Union Square Ventures, Spark Capital, Amasia, Spero Ventures, and Burda Principal Investments.
Skillshare is committed to building a diverse team that reflects a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We're proud to be recognized as a top place to work by Crain's, and one of the five best places to work for women by Bpeace. We work to ensure a consistent interview process, fair compensation, and inclusive work environment for all.
Loading some great jobs for you...