Director, Accounting Policy and Education
Compensation: $205,500.00 - $205,500.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Executive Management
Loading some great jobs for you...
The Corporate Controllers organization provides financial information for Pfizer Inc. to management, shareholders, and regulators. In addition to the consolidation and analysis of the monthly financial submissions from businesses around the globe, the Controllers organization is responsible for developing and maintaining accounting policies and guidance, ensuring adequate financial controls are in place, and addressing the ever-changing business and regulatory requirements. To better meet these needs the Controller Organization is an active partner with the worldwide finance leaders and business operations teams, determining the accounting for Pfizer and educating senior management, the Audit Committee and all global colleagues within Pfizer and providing determinative guidance on the appropriate accounting and financial reporting for ongoing, new and proposed activities or transactions. Additionally, Corporate Controllers is actively involved in influencing the regulatory environment by interfacing with government and accounting standard setting organizations such as the SEC and the FASB.
The primary responsibilities of this Director of Accounting Policy and Education role are to provide technical analysis of the standard setting activities of the FASB/SEC/AICPA/PCAOB and their potential impact to Pfizer; to ensure that Pfizer's global accounting policies and procedures which form the framework of all accounting for the company are up-to-date and responsive; to develop and lead technical accounting training programs for the world-wide finance or other organizations such as business development; and to lead the assessment and global implementation of new accounting standards inclusive of understanding potential implementation issues such as system changes and process changes throughout Pfizer which may require change). Responsibilities also include researching and documenting technical accounting issues, understanding alternative views and interacting with key stakeholders; project management and effective interaction with stakeholders; preparation of SEC financial reporting requirements; ensuring that worldwide accounting policies and procedures are up-to-date, responsive and reflect current regulator guidelines and input from stakeholders including the Controller; liaise with external (including National Office partners) and internal auditors on accounting and reporting issues; and provide expertise on special projects such as carve-out financial statements or new accounting standard implementation projects. Effective communication (both verbal and written) and collaboration skills are critical.
This role will report to the Senior Director Technical Accounting, Accounting Advisory Services.
Overall specific responsibilities could include:
* Track activity of Standard Setting in the US (e.g., FASB, SEC, PCAOB), analyze and assess potential impact to Pfizer, prepare executive summary of new rules and potential impact; prepare comment letters which will be sent to SEC Commissioners, SEC Chief Accountant and the FASB Board members with Pfizer's views on new proposed accounting standards. Lead the conversation and represent Pfizer's interests by educating and influencing standard setters and regulators regarding the implications of proposed rule changes particularly to our industry including attending FASB Board meetings, if needed; make recommendations for changes to existing and financial reporting rules that will provide for more meaningful information for investors and/or save time and cost for Pfizer's operational compliance requirements. .
* Prepare or revise Controller's Accounting Policies and Procedures to reflect new accounting pronouncements or guidance, to improve clarity or to respond to changing internal operations or external circumstances.
* Proactively reach out and respond to operating and finance division's training needs related to accounting and reporting by developing and providing web-based or on-site training programs.
* Monitor and analyze relevant proposed accounting rule changes; lead the implementation of new requirements.
* Fulfill external auditors and internal audit team control and substantive audit requests.
* Provide technical accounting guidance to other Controller team members, division finance and project teams on complex transactions (in consultation with supervisors) to ensure proper compliance with U.S. GAAP and Corporate policies.
* Research accounting issues and document conclusions in formal memos or position papers.
* Special projects, as identified, concerning accounting and financial reporting, including carve-out financial statements, implementation of new accounting standards, etc.
* Maintain professional and technical knowledge, and meet continuing professional education requirements by attending or presenting at educational workshops and conferences, and by reading professional publications.
* Represent Pfizer at PhRMA Accounting and other peer group meetings to discuss accounting and reporting issues facing Pfizer and the pharmaceutical industry, sharing best practices, benchmark key issues and lead the conversation influencing peers at other companies.
* Provide oversight and reviews of selected areas as part of the preparation of Form 10K/10Q in accordance with US GAAP and SEC requirements, including the preparation of the quarterly and annual SAB 74 disclosure for the impact of recently issued accounting standards.
* Direct the implementation of both financial reporting and management reporting changes where required.
Controls / Compliance
* Identify and implement control and process improvements, and simplification measures, related to the collective responsibilities of this role.
* Provide guidance on accounting policies and procedures in accordance with Corporate policy to help ensure proper compliance, in particular on complex issues or specialized areas requiring substantive judgment.
* Partners with Corporate Audit Staff and Controller team members to drive effective and efficient closure of open audit issues and proactively work to prevent future issues/manage risk.
* Develop a strong relationship between Technical Accounting and our external auditors (KPMG LLP)
* Proactively flag controls concerns and recommend improvements for remediation.
Provide Accounting Expertise
* Provide timely guidance and expertise to worldwide Controllership and Finance teams on accounting issues, guaranteeing compliance with U.S. GAAP, Corporate Policies and SEC rules.Respond to day-to-day questions on accounting and reporting and provide guidance by analyzing data and assumptions and formulating possible alternatives, while recognizing when to involve others.
* Understand new or changing business or management strategies, transactions, initiatives and activities and prepare technical accounting memos to ensure Pfizer's financial statements appropriately reflect the activities
* Drives consistent and effective policy guidance globally, while understanding and considering the perspectives of the global markets.
* Keeps the Company's Global Accounting Policies and Procedures are current and provide clear direction to accounting personnel when applying US GAAP to Pfizer's business activities.
* Identify and drive opportunities for automation and efficiency leveraging digital technology.
* Build strong collaborative relationships, open transparent communication, and effective partnership and coordination with global stakeholders
* Work as a team member and thought leader with others in Controllers/Finance in navigating issues and providing guidance with regards to execution or implementation of accounting and financial reporting related items within their respective areas of responsibilities.
* Ensure effective, clear and timely communications to aid in enabling appropriate execution of US GAAP accounting rules and Company policies.
* Coordinate issues with the Core Operations and Divisional Controllers teams.
* Bachelor degree in accounting required
* Certified Public Accountant (CPA) with a minimum of 3-5 years' experience with a Big 4 accounting firm is required
* 10-15 years of overall technical accounting experience required
* Demonstrated proficiency in US GAAP and SEC rules; strong technical and analytical accounting skills; knowledge of standard setter and regulatory processes is required
* MBA or advanced degree in finance or accounting a plus
* Excellent oral and written communication skills enabling effective communication with all levels of management; able to communicate complex concepts in a concise manner; demonstrated ability to work effectively influencing, interacting and managing cross-functional teams of people who do no report to you.
* Knowledge of accounting rules, processes and financial statement disclosure requirements, and strong business acumen.
* Leads effective and efficient projects; Drives issues to resolution
* Strong analytical skills.
* Experience working across multiple levels (including executive level), functions and regions
* Demonstrated proficiency in US GAAP, SEC Rules and FASB standards, and the rule-making process;
* Demonstrated experience with technical accounting research; experience understanding, interpreting and applying US GAAP and SEC accounting rules, including complex technical accounting areas.
* Ability to make sound judgments and decisions based on the facts and accounting guidance; offer alternative solutions.
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Other Job Details:
* Last Date to Apply for Job: December 10, 2019
* Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus
Pfizer is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable equal employment opportunity legislation in each jurisdiction in which it operates.
Finance & Accounting
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...